Saturday, June 16, 2012

Module 2: Activities 1 & 2

Activity 1


-creech: screech
-droogs: drugs
-glazzies: glasses
-goloss: gloss
-malenky: melancholy
-messel: muscle
-millicents: millenium
-poogly: poorly
-razrez: razors
-skorry: scurry
-spatted: spit
-zoobies: zombies

When I was trying to figure out what these words meant, I was just looking at the letters and sounding out the word as best I could and then trying to think of an English word that could maybe be somewhat similar to the spelling or the word sounded out. The words were in a list, so I was not able to look at the context of the words.


After reading A Clockwork Orange:

-droogs: friends or brothers
-skorry: quickly
-spatted: fought with
-glazzies: eyes
-messel: idea or thought
-goloss: voice

For the word "droogs," I realized that it meant either friends or brothers because of the names listed right after.

For the work skorry, I recognized that the word is an adverb because it is describing how the times changed. Then, using the context before and after the word, I could tell that the root of the word "skorry" is quick.

The way the word "spatted" was placed in the sentence, it just seemed right that the definition had to do with fighting or arguing.

The first time I saw the word "glazzies" I did not know what it meant. However, in the second sentence I figured that it meant eyes because "his glazzies were glazed" and then the phrase right after talked about him burbling noises so it makes me think that he is drunk and that his eyes were glazed over.

When I read "messel" I believed that the definition was an idea or thought because after the word, the author describes a thought.

When I first read "goloss," I was not sure of its meaning, however I did the second time it appeared in the text. Someone speaks in a very loud teacher-type "goloss" or "voice." Then I recognized the meaning because I was able to remember that it was a singer's goloss that was in the text earlier.

-Needless to say, I had no clue that the words meant when in isolation, however I was able to figure them out once they were put in context because I could use syntactic and semantic cues.

Activity 2

-No, I did not try to read the words letter-by-letter.

-Yes, I chunked the syllables together. 

-No, I did not try to read the words by sampling the letters more or less all at once.

-I did not know any of the meanings. I could recognize a few of the prefixes, like sub, extra, and dis, but I did not know the root word in order to figure out the meaning. 

-No, because I didn't know any of the meanings. 

-I use context cues to figure out the definition. I am usually always able to figure out the gist of what the author is trying to say. I also tried to chunk syllables together. For example, when I read the word "submandibular," I chunked it like this: sub-man-dib-ular instead of sounding out each letter one-by-one. It's easier to read when we can chunk letters together to make sounds. 

-I think that the purpose for this experiment was to show us how readers feel when they see only a word in isolation. I felt helpless and kind of dumb to be completely honest because I didn't know a single word on the list. Nor could I really pronounce any of them correctly. When readers come across an unfamiliar word in a text, it is much easier to gain knowledge about that word than just looking at it on a list. In context, the reader has several ways of options of figuring out what it means. When we give lists or words and tell students to read them, it may be hindering their ability to fully learn and comprehend the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment