Friday, June 8, 2012

Module 1: Instructional Challenge

After reading and re-reading the passage presented to me, I could not make sense of what the passage was about. I first thought that the passage might be talking about a plane and a pilot. However, I'll admit that I "googled" the passage and realized that it was actually about Christopher Columbus and his arrival to land. 


1. What are the hocked gems? I looked up the definition of "hocked" because that was the only term that I would not quite use the context of the passage to identify it's meaning. I found that it means to pawn or trade. So, I am assuming that "hocked gems" are the spices and goods that Columbus had to trade and receive. 


2. What should we think of as an egg and not a table? The earth was thought to be flat, like a table. Here, he is saying that we should think of the earth as round, like an egg.


3. Who are the three sturdy sisters? The three sturdy sisters are the ships. 


4. What kind of winged creatures approached? I think that the winged creatures that approached are birds. 


If you were to use this passage with students, what schema would you need to activate with them first? I would definitely have to activate their schema of Columbus. When I first read the passage, I could not make sense of what the author was trying to say, so I had to activate my schema. It would be very difficult for students to automatically pick up that this passage was referring to Columbus; similarly to Weaver's example about "washing clothes. Once the reader is told that the passage is about washing clothes, the reader is able to conduct meaning. My schema was activated once the author said that. 


How can you help teach children whose schema and the text’s content don’t match? I think it is still very possible to teach children whose schema and text's content don't match. For example, anytime that children read about an event in history, they don't always have a schema associated to the event. Kids who are learning about the signing of the Declaration of Independence were not there. They have not experienced what it was like so it would be difficult for them to fully understand the concept and apply meaning to a text that is about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. However, before reading about it, I can use pictures, video clips, letters, etc. to start some sort of schema that relates to the event. So when a student begins to read about the event, they can associate the pictures, video clips, and letters with the text. 


How much time should children spend in texts that don’t match their interests or schema? I think is it still important for children to spend time in texts that don't match their interests of schemas. How will a child ever learn if he is not "stepping outside the box" or "outside the comfort zone?" Although, I do think it is important for a child to be reading within their interests and schemas when reading for fluency and accuracy. It would not be fair for a student who just moved from Montana to New York to be assessed over a text about taking the subway to school. 

2 comments:

  1. The very first time I read this passage I also thought a plane might be involved. I was pretty sure the three sisters were boats though, so it didn’t really make sense for three ships and a plane to be in the passage. That’s when I also decided to “Google it” in an attempt to better understand its meaning.

    I like your comparison between this text and the Weaver text. I didn’t think of that, but you’re right. Once you know the passage is about washing clothes it’s much easier to make sense of it. Likewise, once I knew this passage was about Christopher Columbus I was able to interpret the words and phrases better and gain more meaning. I agree that it would be very difficult for students, even in upper grades, to figure out what this passage is about since it is even challenging for adults.

    I also think students should be encouraged to “step outside their comfort zone” when learning. Providing a good mix between texts they are interested in or have background knowledge about and texts that do not match their schema will give them an opportunity to practice fluency and accuracy while learning new content to add to their schema.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflecting on your answers to the questions, I realized I too should have googled the passage because I did not and now reading your answers, I realize I was a little off! I completely agree that it is good for the students to learn about other things that do not always immediately interest them. It challenges them to, like you said, "think outside of the box," and isn't that every teachers goal? Education should be teaching new concepts, creating new interests and to a certain degree, challenging the students to become the best they can be.

    ReplyDelete